Thursday, June 6, 2013

Hurdles to success, using Unimaid as case study.

I felt the scorching sun on my skin, even though I was well equipped to face the challenge of the never smiling sun in Maid(Maiduguri). Walking into the school compound, seeing various faculty buildings and many students from different ethnic group and background(one could tell, by the way they looked) I tried to locate the office I needed to visit to complete my registration process. I was already exhausted of strength from the long walk. My head ached, my feet grew sore as a result of the heat from the sun and nature of the soil. It was like the famous “Israelite journey”. I was so tired, and then it occurred to me that, I could take a bike, which would make my journey easy and lighter to bear, plus guessed, it would reduce the heat from the sun… but, if I hear. I soon completed some part of my registration, but at this point, my face was twice darker than the usual me. Now, that! Was my first day in the university. Some months later a circular was placed few months to the commencement of our exams, it stated “All students should vacate the school premises, till further notice”. This was due to the chaos happenings in the town (sporadic gunshot, burning of houses and valuables and killing of people). I escaped home by the whiskers. I was home for about two months, before we were called back to return to school for our exams so as to complete the first semester. We wrote our exams (standard exam questions) in less than two weeks, I say standard exam questions, because some might think that there was leniency as regards to setting the questions and its marking scheme because of the mental situation the town had on the students; but the reverse was the case. It was the beginning of a new session, I had mixed feelings about resuming because I was scared of the situation in town, was also scared of seeing my result, though I missed my friends and couldn’t wait to see them again, my not so ok performance was on my mind and could be traced to the fact that I was not emotionally fine, I was living each day, all through the period of exams in great fear, because of the meaningless grouse in the town. The awaited result soon came out… (gbim… gbim...) that was the sound of my heart … and yea…! (dancing) I checked and tank God! Truly it wasn’t a performance, though my G.p was low but I didn’t repeat at least that’s the most important thing… (For know…), the thought of spending another extra year in Town (Maiduguri) was enough to kill me; as a person. But then I met a friend, and just when I thought there were no more bad news that I couldn’t bear, I heard a friend of ours was shot, and was lying in the hospital in a critical condition; from a stray bullet . I was destabilized for a while… (Running through my mind; Oh Lord, please let him live… is this town really safe for human habitation? Please protect us, Lord!) Developing thick skin outside, praying my heart out to God inside. Trying to live normal, pretending all is well, waking up to the sound of both bomb-blast and sporadic gunshots. In spite of all these, I just have to continue, read as usual, burning my usual midnight candles, (TDB) Till day break, because failing is not an option, but coming out with a good result, is my priority, with my head held up high! That against all odds, I strived!

4 comments:

  1. Pheeeew! It wasn't easy in the once upon a time "land of peace". The land is full of stories and experiences, all u need do is to take a trip down there and I bet u, u will have ur own story to tell. I sure do have mine and its a very long one. Remembering the ironically unbearable heat, ironical yes cos we survived in it, sun d@ will make get u confused and disorganised, sun d@ will make u smile by force wen u are under its intense scotching heat, the sand storms, the hyper super heavy rainfalls, the skin slicing, self body hugging and jaw jamming harmathan and then the BH mayhem. I remember wen we had to flee for our lives, omo mehn! No be small tin o! But we tank Jehovah for everytin. I hope the security situation is taken care of this time. But, u know w@, despite all these ill comments about Maid, I miss being there a lot, as in a lot. My friends, the school, mairi kuwait, saphire villa, de house of Batiatus, FBI, virgins villa, koramo villa, defence headquarters, commercials, Down town, pompumari, Baga road, monday market, customs, science complex, acada, MPH blocks, exams and records Lol! I miss Unimaid, Borno state. Respect..
    Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! I can see channel o! And own science complex.. I'm. In luv wit dis blog, good one chick!.
    Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Post on chika...at least d wrld hv an idea f wht u guys pass tru ovr dr. evry 1 does hv stories 2 tell 4 evry heights attained, and hurdles crossed. Am glad u made it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. registration can be very stressful in this days university

    ReplyDelete